Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm

I headed up to an old favorite in the North Cascades for a day hike with my friend, Dominic.  This hike certainly has one of the highest bang-for-the-buck ratings.  After a couple of miles switchbacking up, you break out above treeline, and are surrounded by rugged, huge peaks.  And as you climb higher to Cascade Pass and then further up Sahale Arm, it just gets better and better.  Plus, the fall bonus ... some awesome colors!!

Random Scenes

  • Stopping at the pass for a rest and some lunch, I headed up the hill on the path to the pit toilet, only to be surprised by a nearby black bear.  I retreated back down to the pass, where Dom and I spent 10 or 15 minutes watching it while munching on our pastrami sandwiches.  We discussed the intelligence of eating such odorous sandwiches, but the bear was clearly too busy stuffing his face on blueberries to even notice us!

"Oh Wow!" Moments

  • The munching bear!!
  • Big views and more big views!!

Searching for the next berry patch!

Eldorado Peak

Mount Formidable beyond ridge of Mixup Peak


More Photos

Comments